Skip to Main Content

Campus Drug and Alcohol Policy

As members of the Wilmington College community, students are also subject to city, county, state, and federal laws. Legal action in addition to College disciplinary action may occur. Action by the College does not exclude external legal action.

The alcohol policy includes:

Use, possession, or distribution of alcoholic beverages is prohibited except as expressly permitted by the law and College regulations, or public intoxication;

Alcohol is not permitted anywhere on the Wilmington College campuses except in residence hall rooms in areas designated by the Housing Office, or in non-student residences supplied for employees. Only those of legal drinking age will be housed in the designated areas of residence halls. Students who are 21 or older by the day classes begin in the fall of the academic year are eligible to live in these designated areas. Designated areas are determined prior to the student housing selection process in the spring semester. (Only students age 21 and older are permitted alcoholic beverages in the apartments. Underage students are held responsible to the Federal, State and Local statutes; resident students 21 years of age may also face legal action for contribution to underage consumption.)

  • No kegs, or mixing of large quantities of assorted alcohol is permitted anywhere on campus.
  • Alcohol is not permitted at athletic events.
  • The sale of alcohol is not permitted anywhere on campus.
  • Alcohol marketing/advertising practices are not permitted on campus.
  • Alcohol may not be given as a prize for any contest.

No open or empty containers of alcohol are permitted in residence hall rooms. Open containers of alcohol are defined as any container that has the original seal broken. Alcohol poured into a container other than the original one is considered an open container.

On campus, no student shall knowingly be present during the illegal use of alcohol or where there are containers of alcohol in violation of College policy.

No student should participate in drinking games involving alcoholic beverages.

Wilmington College Drug Policy

Use, possession, or distribution of narcotic or other controlled substances is prohibited except as expressly permitted by law.

Violations of the Drug Policy include but are not limited to:

  • Knowing possession of drug paraphernalia.
  • Misuse of prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications.
  • The use, cultivation, manufacture, sale, distribution, and/or possession of drugs or controlled substances in violation of federal, state, or municipal laws is prohibited by the College and is not permitted in the residence halls or on any College property.
  • Failure to report the use, cultivation, manufacture, sale, distribution, and/or possession of illegal substances on any College property to a College official.
  • Knowing presence during the use of illegal drugs or the misuse of substances.
  • The College works very closely with local law enforcement in situations of drug distribution on campus.

Each student receives a copy of the Student Handbook, which contains the Code of Conduct for the College. During floor meetings, the Resident Assistants review these policies with students. The residence hall staff, Campus Safety, and Student Affairs division enforce these policies.

What percentage of students join fraternities or sororities? What is the school doing to monitor substance abuse within the Greek system?

18-20% of our students join a Greek organization. Two of the fraternity houses are not on college-owned property, which limits the college’s ability to intervene. We do have expectations for organizations about when and how events are advertised. When there is a violation of the publicity policy, those cases are heard through the Greek Judicial Board. If there are instances involving alcohol that come back on to campus, those are seen through the campus judicial process.

Our Greek organizations receive information on risk management issues on a regular basis.

What is the college's policy regarding alcohol advertising or other alcohol-sponsored activities on campus?

Promotional materials, including advertisements for any College event, shall not make reference to alcohol, BYOB, or a cash bar. All advertising must be approved by the Dean of Students Office and must be in compliance with the College Posting Policy.

For Residence Halls: only Housing staff may post publicity in the residence halls. Publicity approved by the Housing Office must include the name of the sponsoring organization and/or the name of the responsible person. Please allow one day for information to be posted. Any publicity not approved by the Housing Office and found to be offensive in any manner will be disposed of immediately. The Office of the Dean of Students must approve publicity posted outside of residential facilities.

Will the administration inform parents if their son or daughter is disciplined or arrested for alcohol or other drug-related infractions?

A parental notification may occur if a student fails to complete a sanction given for violating the college alcohol or drug policy. Parents will receive notification if a student is found responsible for a level 2 alcohol or level 1 drug violation. Details are in the Student.

How much funding does the school provide for recreational activities that do not include alcohol?

A vast majority of the funding from the student activity fee goes toward programming that does not include alcohol. The following are the regulations for off-campus events where alcohol is present that are funded by student activity fees:

No Wilmington College student activity fee money can be used to purchase alcohol or equipment used to dispense alcohol.

Student activity fee funded events where alcohol is present may only be held at locations that have a liquor license. If the location’s primary business is selling alcohol, then admission must be limited to Wilmington College students and their guests. Only the licensed vendor may sell the alcohol and no other alcohol is permitted.

No student activity fee or departmental budget funded events, at which alcohol is present, may be held on fraternity or sorority house property.

The sponsoring student organization must complete a "Planning Guide for Student Activity Fee Sponsored Events." This form must be signed by the organization’s advisor and submitted to the Director of Student Activities two (2) working days before the event.

Consumption of alcohol is only permitted within the approved area designated for the event. All those consuming alcohol must be of legal drinking age.

Nonalcoholic beverages must be available and featured as prominently as alcoholic beverages.

Promotional materials, including advertisements for any College event, shall not make reference to alcohol, BYOB, or a cash bar. All advertising must be approved by the Dean of Students Office and must be in compliance with the College Posting Policy.

The sponsoring organization must provide reasonable amounts of food.

Consumption of alcohol is prohibited while being transported in College vehicles.

Irresponsible drinking behavior while representing Wilmington College in any capacity is prohibited. Furthermore, individual departments of the College may choose to prohibit alcohol at their off-campus activities.

Has the college joined with local community leaders, law enforcement personnel and businesses to curtail student access to alcohol?

The College develops relationships with Wilmington community members to address alcohol misuse in our student population.  Several alcohol education programs are held throughout the year that link the campus with the community.

What services are available for students with their own or a family problem with alcohol or other drugs? Are the services confidential?

The college employs a full time counselor on campus.  The counselor is available for scheduled and 'walk-in' appointment.  The office is located in the Health Center in the basement of Bailey Hall.

What training do residential advisers have in identifying and communicating with students who may have alcohol or drug problems?

Resident Assistants receive training during a course offered the spring before they become RAs. They also receive training during the fall and at winter break. They receive information about how to intervene with students who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, how to follow-up with them about their behavior, and what resources are available to help students in need.