The Campus Rock has been a distinctive landmark at WC since Leo McCoy and other members of the senior class, in 1906, hauled the 10-ton boulder from the Clinton County Infirmary a mile away to the north side of College Hall. They made it their class gift to the College. In 1935, a plaque was added to The Rock dedicating it to "the spirit of youth." For many years in the 20th century, it was known as the "Kissing Rock," which was associated with the legend that a couple that kisses for the first time by The Rock will someday marry. The more recent tradition has student groups painting the boulder as a means for promoting events, successes and, well, themselves.