Section Menu

Firbank FellFirbank Fell

President’s House

Surrounded on two sides by the scenic Hazard Arboretum, Firbank Fell, at 844 Elm Street, has been the family home of WC presidents since it was built in 1965. The College’s First Lady at the time, Henrietta Read, is credited with designing the ranch-style dwelling, which serves both as a residence and a facility for holding meetings, receptions, dinners and other College activities. It includes a hospitality suite for honored guests. The name Firbank Fell is well known in Quaker history. In 1652, George Fox preached to a large crowd at a place called Firbank Fell, between Kendal and Westmoreland, England. He used a natural stone outcropping in the middle of a fell, or barren moor, for his pulpit.