Formerly Boyd Auditorium/Fine Arts Center
Boyd Auditorium/Fine Arts Center was the center for art, music and theatre for 50 years. Begun in the summer of 1951 and dedicated on Dec. 8, 1953, the L-shaped structure featured an auditorium seating 622 and a single-story academic wing for classrooms, offices and laboratories for art, music and drama. The auditorium’s spacious and well-equipped stage was the scene for scores of impressive theatre and music productions and the second floor above the lobby housed the campus art gallery. The auditorium, which had air conditioning from its inception, was dedicated in honor of Oscar F. Boyd, whose affiliation with the College extended. In 2004, the College razed the Fine Arts Center and began a renovation of the auditorium and expansion of an academic wing. Dedicated in 2005, the new Hugh G. Heiland Theatre features significantly fewer seats, 433, but provides a modern comfortable setting for enjoying the performing arts. The lobby is large enough to host dinners, receptions and even mini-concerts while the expanded center also features the Harcum Family Art Gallery, Meriam R. Hare Quaker Heritage Center and the T. Canby Jones Meetinghouse. The academic wing includes classrooms, a music rehearsal space, conference room, lounge area, faculty offices and storage areas.
The 32,000 square foot, two-story addition features the Harcum Art Gallery, faculty offices, theatre scene shop, music rehearsal room for 50, electronic keyboard classroom for 13, seminar room, one 24-seat classroom, and two 40-seat classrooms.