Based on the College’s Philosophy and Principles, Wilmington College embraces Quaker-based testimonies as the foundation of its Student Code of Conduct. The Student Code exists to foster and enhance the academic mission of the College. It also supports and helps to maintain an environment in which learning, growth and maturation can take place. Members choosing to be a part of this community of scholars commit to uphold high standards of conduct which are stated in the Testimonies. If one abides by these, violations of this Student Code of Conduct would be virtually nonexistent and the campus would be the caring community for which the College strives. These six Testimonies, which are an integral part of the new student orientation program, have accompanying queries that serve to more fully explain their meaning. The Wilmington College Testimonies are:
- I will practice personal and academic integrity. Query: Am I aware that cheating in classes, in games or in sports is inconsistent with this testimony? Do I make an effort to eliminate the practice of plagiarism, borrowing another student’s homework, lying, deceit, excuse making and infidelity or disloyalty in personal relationships?
- I will avoid all behaviors that are harmful to my body. Query: Am I aware of the injurious effects of drugs and alcohol on my judgment, my health and my influence on others? Do I avoid using drugs and alcohol as a basis for friendships, during recreational activities and sports performances? Am I making responsible choices regarding drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
- I will respect the dignity of all persons. Query: Am I aware that behaviors such as demeaning the dignity of individuals or groups, including hazing, most forms of intimidating, taunting, teasing, baiting, ridiculing, insulting, harassing and discrimination are inconsistent with this testimony?
- I will discourage bigotry and strive to learn from differences in people, ideas and opinions. Query: Am I a positive influence for equal rights and opportunities for all students regardless of their age, sex, race, religion, disability, ethnic heritage, socioeconomic status, political, social or other affiliation or disaffiliation, and sexual orientation?
- I will demonstrate concern for others, their feelings and their need for conditions which support their work and development. Query: Am I compassionate and considerate, avoiding behaviors which are insensitive, inhospitable or which cause others to feel unsafe or unwelcome?
- I will respect the rights and property of others. Query: Am I aware that all forms of theft, vandalism, arson, misappropriation, malicious damage to, and desecration or destruction of property is inconsistent with this testimony? Do I avoid violating persons’ right to move about freely, express themselves appropriately and to enjoy privacy?